Monday, August 23, 2010

Weary


wea·ry

  [weer-ee]  Show IPA adjective, -ri·er, -ri·est,verb, -ried, -ry·ing.
–adjective
1.
physically or mentally exhausted by hard work, exertion,strain, etc.; fatigued; tired: weary eyes; a weary brain.
2.
characterized by or causing fatigue: a weary journey.
3.
impatient or dissatisfied with something (often fol. by of ):weary of excuses.
4.
characterized by or causing impatience or dissatisfaction;tedious; irksome: a weary wait.
–verb (used with object), verb (used without object)
5.
to make or become weary; fatigue or tire: The long hours ofwork have wearied me.
6.
to make or grow impatient or dissatisfied with something orat having too much of something (often fol. by of ): The longdrive had wearied us of desert scenery. We had quicklywearied at such witless entertainment.

Weary.  That is a good word.  It's different from the word Tired.  If one is tired, then rest and sleep might remedy it.  But when one is weary, I don't think any amount of sleep or rest will alleviate the pain associated with being weary.

Weary encompasses the mind, the soul, the body.  It is palpable, it is tangible.  Weary implies a need for hope.  

I am weary today, tonight.  Not fatigued or tired, but weary.

Scripture uses the word "weary" 61 times.  And each time, the word "weary" says much more to the reader, then the word "tired".  When we read of someone being weary, we can also see it and see ourselves in the passage.  Case in point is Psalm 6, which I'll past in below.

Oh that God would remove the weariness and restore the joy that I must remember to fight for.

1     O Lord, wrebuke me not in your anger,
nor xdiscipline me in your wrath.
     2     Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am languishing;
yheal me, O Lord, zfor my bones are troubled.
     3     My asoul also is greatly troubled.
But you, O Lordbhow long?
     4     Turn, O Lord, deliver my life;
save me for the sake of your steadfast love.
     5     For in cdeath there is no remembrance of you;
in Sheol who will give you praise?
     6     I am dweary with my emoaning;
every night I flood my bed with tears;
I drench my couch with my weeping.
     7     My feye wastes away because of grief;
it grows weak because of all my foes.
     8     gDepart from me, all you hworkers of evil,
for the Lord ihas heard the sound of my weeping.
     9     The Lord has heard my jplea;
the Lord accepts my prayer.
     10     All my enemies shall be ashamed and greatly troubled;
they shall kturn back and be put to shame in a moment.

My Jesus, please hear my plea and accept my prayer.


No comments:

Post a Comment