Thursday, September 9, 2010

Quotes by Writers about Writing


Robert Frost:  Poets need not go to Niagara to write about the force of falling water.


Flannery O'Connor:  Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them.


Robert Benchley
:  It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.
George Orwell:  In certain kinds of writing, particularly in art criticism and literary criticism, it is normal to come across long passages which are almost completely lacking in meaning.

Steven Wright:  I'm writing an unauthorized autobiography. 
William S. Burroughs:  In my writing I am acting as a map maker, an explorer of psychic areas, a cosmonaut of inner space, and I see no point in exploring areas that have already been thoroughly surveyed.

Gustave Flaubert:  The art of writing is the art of discovering what you believe.
Stephen King: I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and fries.

Ernest Hemingway:  Write drunk, edit sober.
Hunter S. Thompson:  The only thing to be said this time about Fear & Loathing is that it was fun to write and that's fair, for me at least because I've always considered writing the most hateful kind of work.
 
Elmore Leonard:  I try to leave out the parts that people skip.



Isaac Asimov:  If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood.  I'd type a little faster.  

No comments:

Post a Comment