Sunday, June 20, 2010

Blessed Redeemer

Hymns and Theology

For awhile, several months back, I was taking a closer look at hymns and the theology in them, the concepts and words that they teach, sometimes with a richness that resembles well-written poetry or narratives.  Of course, not all hymns are theologically sound.  Some seem to me, to be way off base, sung because they are tradition and not based on scriptural truth.  Bob Kauflin, in his book "Worship Matters", refers to this and does an excellent job of delineating the difference between sound hymnology and not-so-sound hymns.

While I've not done that kind of work, the tearing apart of hymns, in a very long time, I was struck by the song Blessed Redeemer, sung to a different tune by Casting Crowns.  I stumbled upon it yesterday as I was looking for something else in my Ipod.  I've decided to include a video here by New Life Media, found on YouTube.  I'm not sure why it overruns my sidebar, my apologies.  Can't seem to figure that out.  Oh well.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment