Thursday, July 1, 2010

Our Trek Across America

We have returned home.  Too tired to write much, but lots of funny things to catch up on when I get a chance....


h

On our Trek across the BlueGrass State, I could not pass up the opportunity to let Keli see the horses.  We spent all day Wednesday at the International Horse Park in Lexington, KY.  Our very first activity of the morning---a horse back ride.  Nose to tail ride for beginners, across the farm, in between the corrals that housed all the different breeds at the park.  Perfect weather, perfect day for a ride.

Keli and I, while awaiting to be assigned to our horses, were joking around about which horse would be mine and which was hers.  She wanted the tallest horse in the paddock.  No Fair, I wanted the tallest horses in the paddock.  His name was Blueny---gorgous, elegant, absolutely perfect.

But then, much to my chargrin, the trail lead explained the purpose behind choosing horses for the riders--they do so based on ability, age and weight.  Huh.  Ok, that makes sense.

So they call my girl down, and lo and behold, they put her on Blueny....She's grinning from ear to ear, and I'm jealous.  That's ok, I'll take the text tallest one please, named Sancho.

Nope, no Sancho for me.  A couple of other beautiful horses found their riders, while I continued to be passed over.  I was beginning to feel a bit like I was back on the playground getting picked last for kickball---not an uncommon event.

At last, they called my name.  I eagerly descended the paddock toward what I thought was my horse---medium beautiful, beautiful chestnut in color.  But I was wrong.  I was led right past that horse, to Butch.  Butch was standing in the corner.  He took one look at me and I knew he did not want to do this.  At all. Can anyone truly blame him though??

He was the shortest, the fattest horse, in the entire stable.  No Joke.

I get settled on Butch, who, with a snort, falls in line and plods along, I try to act like I know what I'm doing. I look at the leader, a nice girl from Lawrenceburg, which meant we knew quiet a few people in common, thus she and I chatted quite a bit on the ride.  That gave me an opportunity to watch what she did and try to copy that with my horse.  No real results.  Oh well.  Plod, plod, plod, plod.

Back in the Paddock, everyone has dismounted except myself.  Ok, time to get off of this horse.  But best laid plans.......the next thing I know, I hear a snap in my brain from my leg and down I fall hard, boom. 

I think fast and evaluate the situation.  Keli is looking at me like she just can't believe I've done this.  The guy two horses behind me happened to be a paramedic.  I get up and try to figure out what the sound was in my leg/brain.  I can put wait on it, so it's not broken.  That's a good thing.

Keli asks me how in the world I managed to do this--only one to fall, and I fell of the shortest and fattest hourse, the one closest to the ground.  I don't know.  Not Pretty.  God gives grace but obviously has not granted me the physical attribute of grace.  

Did not let it deter us from seeing the rest of the horses, as well as driving to Lawrenceburg last night for dinner with a friend, and then walking all over seminary today "touring"  Resting it tonight, hoping for improvement tomorrow morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment